Monday, July 26, 2010

I need Help...I'm making a Banana Cake...and the new Recipe i got calls for ';sour milk';....?

Does that mean Buttermilk or what?


I need Help...I'm making a Banana Cake...and the new Recipe i got calls for ';sour milk';....?
It is harder and harder to find. Sour milk use to be commonly available when your milk sat in the refrigerator. Now, much of the milk is ';over pasteurized'; as they are really concerned about pathogens--rightly!! The downside of this is that the lactoacidophulous are frequently killed as well and the milk rots instead of souring. One could substitute buttermilk; however, increasingly you can not count on it being acidic. If I need sour milk, for every cup, I use 15 tablespoons of regular milk you and I drink and add 1 tablespoon of vinegar. That turns out about the right acidity for most recipes.





It is important to use sour milk when a recipe calls for sour milk. Often you will note these recipes having baking soda instead of or in addition to baking powder. The acid in the milk will react with the baking soda to give the leavening needed -- a fast type of leavening.I need Help...I'm making a Banana Cake...and the new Recipe i got calls for ';sour milk';....?
If you have milk and a little sour cream it will work well as a replacement. I use it for my banana bread and it is awesome. Here's the recipe for reference.








Banana Nut Bread





1 陆 cups sugar


陆 cup butter, melted


3 bananas, mashed


2 eggs, beaten


2 cups flour


陆 tsp baking soda


1 tbs sour cream added to regular milk to make 1/3 cup


录 tsp salt


1 tsp vanilla


陆 to 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)





Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl until blended well. Add chopped nuts, mix together. Pour into greased loaf pan about 1 inch from the top. Bake at 350 for 60 minutes.



Buttermilk and sour milk are two different things. Buttermilk is what is left after making butter. It is sour because most of the sugar in the milk stays with the solids and in the butter.





Sour milk is milk that is actually soured. 2 teaspoons of Lemon juice or apple cider vinegar in a cup of whole milk will sour the milk properly.
I add a teaspoon of vinegar or lemon juice to 1 cup of milk. This is what my grandma has had me do and it seems to work fine.
kristi got it right ..bmilk is really sour milk .but most people will not use the left over from the recipe . grann's way is easier and more economical.
YOU CAN SOUR REGULAR MILK YOURSELF BY ADDING VINEGAR TO IT!
I think buttermilk too and you could always use ordinary milk, I'm sure.
It means lets your milk sit out for a few weeks and then use it.. Haha just kidding..
I think that means buttermilk
cold milk
  • makeup stores
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment